Tuesday, November 20, 2012

LW Germans - Volksgrenadier

At last, they released a sourcebook for a period of WW2 I have a strong interest in.  Specifically, the non-SS German units involved in the Ardennes Offensive.  I settled on the 12. Volksgrenadier list, a Confident/Veteran infantry list.

It features a heavy dose of Assault Rifle armed infantry, and it seems that everyone has a Panzerfaust.  There is a healthy mix of support weapons, not to mention armor and the Sturmvogel (the first jet aircraft used in the war).  All in all, I thought it was an interesting mix that would not require me to buy much of anything in the way of new models.  All I have to do is change a few things around and paint what I have.

I have not abandoned my armored lists.  I actually got the airbrush out and painted a few up for a friend at the LGS last week.  With that, I am setting myself up to be able to run either a generic King
 Tiger list, the Begleit StuG list, or possibly the Bake list (all from Grey Wolf).  In playing over the past few months I discovered that when playing armored lists, it needs to be all vehicles (or nearly so).  Infantry can work,  but taking non-mobile artillery was not a good idea.  That works out, because the Volksgrenadier list has no mobile artillery, so there can be a clear split there.

Back to the project at hand.  I scaled down my projects, working on 1-2 units at a time, at most.  Large units (like full 6 base + HQ platoons) get done one at a time.  This way I can go through the steps and (mostly) finish in a day or two of work, rather than spreading out the work and getting discouraged when game day comes around and they are all still on their painting sticks.  Since starting this method I have gotten the painting done on a Mortar Platoon, all the crews for the Panzerwerfers, and almost done with my Scout Platoon.  Moving on to the Assault Platoon next.  The 'finished' units need a wash of the Army Painter dip, then onto the bases.  From there, I can base them whenever.. they are ready to play.

Internet is extremely limited, which makes posting here difficult.  I want to do a walk-through with one of my platoons so I can document how I paint them, what paints I use, etc.  The camo especially.  I REALLY want to get back to writing here.  I said it a few months back, but taking the time to write this stuff down (and people responding) gives me motivation to post more, which gets me working.  Also, should something happen to my notes again, I will have a resource that tells me how I did what, so I dont have to guess.

I will post the list I plan to run at different point levels, as well as the 'to-do' list for the available forces.  Pictures will come as I take them.  Work will progress as long as I keep the shift I am on, having all night long to paint is a big bonus.  Getting caught up on Babylon 5 as well.. re-watching the whole series.  I get about a season every 3 days or so (while at work), so should be done by months end.  To that end, I should also have the core of my Volksgrenadiers done by then as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment