Friday, August 23, 2013

Heavy Gear BatRep - First Attempt

(Played in August 2013, Written October 2013)

One of the lots of figures I purchased included two painted squads of Gears.  Pretty much your typical GP squad, with some special weapons, all ready to go.  After having to reassmeble some of them from shipping damage, they were good to go.  Another lot included a variety of buildings which are mosty to scale for Heavy Gear.  What I had was enough to play a game.

Convincing a friend of mine to spend a free day trying it out yielded a pretty fun game.  We had both looked over the rules, but had not really gotten familiar with the details, so mistakes were made.  Some we picked up on during the game, others after.  All in all, the attempt was a smooth one, giving us both a pretty positive impression of the game.  Certainly enough that I felt I wanted to learn more.

I will not give a round by round narrative, in part because I do not remember the details, but I will say it was a prime example of seeing defeat snatched from the jaws of victory!  My initial tactics resulted in most of my squad getting overwhelmed and taken out, but the two survivors played a game of fall back/reenage, picking his squad apart one at a time.  I had some amazing rolls (firing full Rate of Fire(RoF) on some weapons and never running out/jamming, for example) while he had some horrible ones (grenades, especially).  He should of taken it when I was willing to concede mid-game.  We decided to play it out, and my shift in tactics won the battle.

If I were to do a demo like this again, I would go with the recommended 3 vs 3 with 'matched' forces (more or less) and a smaller play area.  Otherwise, it went well.

I was running the Northern Squad (Tan/Yellow), my friend was running the Southern Cadre (Green/Grey).


The bulk of my squad using containers as cover

Northern center defense while the South took the flanks

Southern Gears close to melee contact

Southern flanker took out a Hunter...

.. only to run into another with a Snub Cannon



No comments:

Post a Comment