Saturday, November 21, 2015

From Start to Finish - Part 2 - Planning and Purchasing

So, I have decided on a game (Team Yankee), decided on a scale (6mm), now I need to start pricing out miniatures.  Considering the rulebook has not yet been released, I do not have much go to on.  The pre-release list of units that should be available gives me a rough guide to what I should be looking for, and the two box sets (Bannon's Boys and Potecknov's Bears) provide a baseline of what a 'starter' force should be.  This also gives me a good opportunity to show the differences in price.

Bannon's Boys ($90) contains:
5x Plastic M1 Abrams Tanks 
2x Plastic AH-1 Cobra Attack Helicopters 
1x Special Objective 
2x Decal Sheets 
7x Unit Cards 
1x Template

Potecknov's Bears ($120) contains:
9x Plastic T-72 Tanks 
2x Plastic MI-24 Hind Assault Helicopters 
2x Decal Sheets 
8x Unit Cards 
1x Template

Team Yankee Rulebook - $25.00 ($22.50 on sale/pre-order)


By comparison, the most expensive 6mm supplier (GHQ, which is also regarded as one of the best in quality) I would end up spending the following:

Bannon's Boys - 5x M1 Abrams, 2x AH-1 - $23.90
Potecknov's Bears - 10x T-72, 2x Mi-24 Hind - $47.80


I can get an equivalent number of models to both starter boxes and the rulebook for $94.20 (not counting tax, shipping, etc).  For a little over the cost of the least expensive box set, I can get everything I need to play.  For the purpose of gaming on the cheap, 6mm seems very much like the way to go.

Currently, I am torn between holding off on ordering any figures until the rules are available, and having two forces ready to go when the book does come out.  I think I may just order the basic items listed here to start, and expand once the rules are available so lists can be drawn up.  Otherwise, I may be tempted to buy one of everything, "just in case."  I may also have a work-related project to do in 6mm, so I can always tack that on with this order.

Once I have ordered everything I will post an unboxing and prep-work post to detail everything.

Edit - 27 November 2015: GHQ ran a decent Black Friday sale, so I picked up enough to run a 75 point force for both US and USSR (which really was not much in the way of figures).  

No comments:

Post a Comment