Wednesday, November 18, 2015

From Start to Finish - Part 1 - New Game, New Army

One of my goals has been to detail how I select a game to play and put a collection of models together, then to record the whole process (with pictures).  I had a great opportunity to do so when I started up a Soviet Tankovy for Flames of War a few months ago, but in my rush to get it up and running I completely forgot about documenting it.

Luckily, I have another opportunity.  Battlefront is set to release a new game this month next month, called Team Yankee.  Based on the novel by Harold Coyle (currently available on Amazon in the Kindle store), it details a what-if scenario of WW3 set in Germany in 1985.  I am about half-way through the book, but by chapter 2 I had already pre-ordered the rulebook.  Armor-based units were what got me into Flames of War, and this looks to be along those lines.  The M1 Abrams vs the T-72, Cobras vs Hinds, and A-10's busting up Soviet tanks.  Initially the previews did not really hook me, but the book has.

So, now I have another game to play.  But, this one is different, because even though Battlefront is providing a range of 15mm models for the game (of which I may pick up a few individual ones, for Force on Force if nothing else.. they do look good), it seems there is a fairly large community of players who are going to be playing it in 6mm.  Micro-armor is a field I never really got into up until this point.  I briefly considered Epic Warhammer 40,000 when I was in Colorado, but that was about it.  Technically Battletech is in the same scale.  6mm is 1:285 scale, though from what I am reading it is pretty much the same as 1:300, as well as being pretty much the same scale the military uses.

Now I have a game I am interested in, with a new scale people are actually using.  So it is time to start researching what I will need.  Some useful links I have found so far are listed below:

http://www.ghqmodels.com/store/military-models-modern-micro-armour.html
http://www.pfc-cinc.com/front_page.html
http://6mm.wargaming.info/index.htm

At this point, I have a plan.  Next step will be to get an idea of what models I need and who I will be ordering them from.


Continued in: From Start to Finish - Part 2 - Planning and Purchasing

No comments:

Post a Comment