Thursday, September 8, 2011

Still Posting...

Its been a few weeks since I posted anything, so sorry about that.  The lack of a decent camera slows it down a bit.. just isnt the same posting about my project without some photos to go along with it.

Currently in the works are:
- FoW German Grenadiers
- FoF Russians
- FoF Americans
- Terrain

The Grenadiers are almost done, but when playing the weekend before last one squad took a spill off the table.  I refused to look at it at the time, and have been hesitant to take them out of the foam to assess the damage.  Going to have to put two figures back on the base and redo the basing.  Might have to touch up the paint, which is why I am avoiding it. 

The Russians and Americans are a WIP while I figure out the colors to use.  I have an idea of what I want, but not a method to make it happen.  So, once I got the base coat on, things stalled.

The Terrain collection has been receiving all my attention.  A very cool post on the AAG Forums (Link and Link) lead to a discussion about templates, and since I tend to really slow down on a project when I have to start from scratch it was easy to start.  I currently have five buildings in various stages of completion (all assembled, just waiting to coat and paint them).  Another post on the AAG Forums (Link) got me thinking about adding mesh fences to a base for an 'oil depot' of some sort.  That, and a pack of model railroad storage tanks I picked up awhile back, and I have another project.  Need to test out the fencing first, but it looks good.

Tomorrow I should have some photos up.  Working on getting enough stuff to fill a 2' x 2' table, and then running some Force on Force demo's at the local store, or maybe Ambush Z.  Either way, a box of cheap and easy terrain is a must.

One of the goals I set for myself when I got started with all of this was to do my best to search for guides to painting and building things and compile them.  Then, if someone else has not written something (or even if they have), I was going to write my own process and guides so that folks who like what I have done have a way of reproducing it.  Nothing is quite as frustrating for me as seeing something that is EXACTLY what I had pictured in my head, only to find out that the person that did it either does not remember how, or wont share the info.  Unless you do it for a living (and even then), I guess I dont understand why some folks feel that way.  So, once I have a few written and the necessary photos taken, I will start another blog that is nothing but how-to guides for everything I do.  I wish I would of had one to follow when I got started, and since I have not found any online, I might as well do something about it.

For anyone in the Tucson area who has run into the same issue I have regarding the lack of model stores (a position usually filled by Hobby Town, but in this town I would avoid Hobby Town at all costs.. they only do RC cars, and the staff is incredibly rude when you ask about anything that isnt RC related), the ACE Hardware on 22nd and Kolb is the place to go.  Model train supplies, plastic sheeting, airbrush supplies, and all the random odds and ends you might need but cant find at 'mainstream' stores.  The staff is also very helpful and friendly, which is always a plus.

No comments:

Post a Comment