Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Desert Bases (15mm)

After the Fuel Station project, I decided that I need a better method to do bases for a 'desert' environment.  Thanks to everyone and their positive comments about it, but the thing just really looks off to me.  It has an almost pink coloring when I look at it, depending on the lighting.  The two shades of grass dont have anything close to the look I was going for.

My US Army Fireteam and Contractors are on hold until I can figure out how to base them (they are all but done, otherwise).  Spent the past day playing around with different techniques, and I THINK I found one I like.

First, you attach the gravel when you base the figure, before priming.  This lets the primer 'seal' the basing gravel on, so no chance of it chipping off later.  Also, using fine gravel, not the mixed stuff I use on historical bases and 25/28mm bases.  I put some of the mix on them and it looked all wrong to me.  So, scraped that off and went with the standard fine stuff.  Unfortunately, its all in plastic bags rather than the original packaging, so I have no idea what the grade/type is.  I should find out.

Anyway, after painting and dip/wash, you coat the base in the cheap Apple Barrel "Country Tan" color.  Then putting a layer of Woodland Scenics "Earth Undercoat" on top of that.  Its thinner than regular paint so you get good coverage out of the bottle.  It fills in the gravel and kinda does a shading on its own.  Following that, a drybrush with an off-white color, Bone White in this case.  Then going to do an odd patch of "Arid" static grass (the dead looking patches from the Fuel Station).

They are on the table drying right now, so tonight I should be able to get the static grass on and take some pictures after sealing them.

No comments:

Post a Comment