Saturday, October 15, 2011

Tomorrow's War Setting

Put my order in for a copy of TW (The Book Depository has good prices and free shipping if you cant get it at the LGS.  If they dont sell it, check to see if you can get them to stock it!) and it has gotten me to thinking about what sort of setting I want to use.  I am looking forward to reading the one presented in the game, but there are just so many different sci-fi settings that I have enjoyed over the years that picking one to play in just seems... difficult.

In case you have not read about it yet, there are several good reviews out there.  Chuck Platt did a pretty good one, click his name to read it. 

First, you have Battletech.  This was the first game I got into, and my favorite for many years.  I still enjoy it, but its just so slow to play a game, and it doesnt allow for useful infantry combat, tank combat, or battle armor.  Seems like a no-brainer, right?  I can run those scenarios now with TW.  Problems here are that part of what I like about it, the depth and detail, works against it.  The figures are all impossible to get.  I have 30+ of the small 6mm (?) elementals, as well as a bag of 6mm infantry.  Problem is, I dont have anything else at that scale.  Consider trading for some Epic 40k figures, which are pretty close, but lack terrain.  Would prefer not to remake all of my stuff.  Then, I have a single point (5 models) worth of Elementals, but they are in 20mm scale (best guess).  My choices are mostly left for getting generic sci-fi figures and painting them up to loose close to BT, and just using the background story.  Without the battle armor and tanks, its just the fluff.  Good, but not ideal.

Then you have Heavy Gear.  Another series I enjoyed reading about, and they have recently come out with a new set of figures (Gears) that are pretty close to 15mm.  A little small, but they work.  I also like the look of them.  What I dont want is to have to buy books to get info on the setting, and while I enjoy the setting, I am not sold on it.  Its just too obscure.

After this we have Warhammer 40k.  I have a full Space Wolf army, a few loose Imperial Guardsmen, and some Tau.  I lack any terrain, but one thing about 40k being popular is that it is widely available.  Also, while I do enjoy bits of the story, it just isnt one that I am all that inspired to get back into.

We have Firefly/Serenity, specifically the war before the series with the Alliance vs the Independents.  Would make for some great scenarios based on what we know of it and the flashbacks.  Problem is, while its futureistic, its still pretty much the same as modern.  No battlesuits, no mechs, limited armor.  I am REALLY considering going this route, but I want a full on sci-fi experience.  Again, finding good models (the Alliance troops look like the Mobile Infantry from the Starship Troopers movie - the Independent troops wore brown long coats, another one not easy to find) is the problem.

You have the classic Aliens setup with Colonial Marines and Aliens (and Predators).  Good news is that there is already a few different stores that sell look-a-likes for all of those.  I am a fan of the series, and many others are too.  I am thinking I might go this route for intro games, but you get into the lack of armor/mechs and other such.  HOWEVER, I remember reading about an original draft of Alien 3 that had them stuck on a space station run by "space commies" of some sort.  This would lead to some interesting situations with two regular forces.  However, if you stick with canon, its all ignored since they refuted alot of that in Alien: Resurrection.  Still, it gives you access to air units, APC's, etc.

Star Wars is a given.  I already have a box full of minis, and will probably try a game or two using them... but again, I lack any serious interest in it.  Maybe some Clone Wars scenarios.

I am afraid I am going to have to find a way to mesh several together.  I like the idea of regular infantry with guns that are a bit more advanced, but not too different from what we have now.  Elite troops in battle armor.  Some hover tanks, APC's, "Dropships" (futureistic attack/transport helicopters), maybe some aliens that are similar (rather than the mindless bugs, though those would have their place). 

I dont know.. so many options. 

1 comment:

  1. Forgot Halo Actionclix.. Gears of War (board game and clix), and the various miniature company produced sci-fi ranges (GZG for example). Lots of choices.

    ReplyDelete