Friday, October 14, 2011

October Update

Well, in the three months since I started this blog I have finished more projects than I think I ever have since I got into the hobby.  I suppose that should account for something.  Americans are done, an Apache has a flight stand, got a pair of Contractors finished, and made some terrain.

I think I should follow through on my idea of making another blog with all of my how-to's and reference material listed, so folks wont need to dig through this to find something.  Not sure of the format though, is the current way I do it working for anyone?  I like to take notes as I am doing it, take pictures as needed, and go through the process like I am explaining to someone that is there watching me.

Lets see whats on the table:
- 15mm Russians (WW3/MW2 theme)
- 15mm Germans (FoW)
- 15mm Insurgents (FoF)
- Space Hulk Marines
- Space Wolves

Now, a few of those are probably less than realistic to get done anytime soon.  My Wolves wont be getting any attention for quite some time, and I doubt my Space Hulk figures will be either.  So that leaves just one big project, the Germans.  Suppose I should break it down into smaller groups.  The Grenadiers, the Pioneers, the Weapon Teams, the StuG's, the Tigers, etc.  With the Infantry Ace's campaign over and my drive kinda driven out (but was replaced by my efforts with Force on Force), I think I am going to want to finish up what I have started so I can check it off my list, and put the rest in foam until I get that interest back.

With Tomorrow's War just around the corner (days, now) I have been thinking about what I am going to do for it.  The primary thought was using my 40k figures to play, which might encourage me to finish up some Wolves and maybe paint up a squad of Imperial Guard I have here.  BUT, all of my terrain is in 15mm, so it might be worth looking into a few squads of 15mm figures.  I was considering picking up the starter box for Heavy Gear, both to give it a try and to get some mech-type units for TW.  There are a few 15mm miniature companies I have also been looking at for a Sci-fi range, though I would like to use what I have.

I dug out my Battletech figures, but the best I could hope for there would be to use them in a 6mm game, which I dont think I want to do.  My elementals are all too small for 15mm, and the large ones I have would do ok at 20mm... both scales I dont play in.  REALLY considering trying to sell/trade the rest of the BT stuff I have.

Still not set on a theme or setting for TW either.  I like the "Aliens" theme with Marines vs Bugs.  I like the "Grimdark Future" that is the 40k universe, but I also want to get away from GW and their figures.  I like the 'mecha' thing that Heavy Gear has going on.  Then there are the haloclix I already have.  Another option was to pick up the Gears of War boardgame and work on something from that Angle.  I got to play it this past weekend and I was really impressed.  The game is decent, but the minis are top notch!  Again, terrain would be difficult, but the 40k stuff usually available should work.  I just want to get something in the works now, so it can be done in a month or so, and then I can start doing demo's of that to find folks to play with.

I guess its one thing at a time.  My current to-do list looks like this:

- 15mm Insurgents
- 15mm Russians
- German Grenadiers
- German Tank Camo tests
- 15mm Early Imperial Romans

I have a few other painting projects to work on if any of those get stale.  Mostly individual figures for friends or commission.  The best way to try and make some extra money with my hobby is to finish projects to show off.  I think I am going to focus on that for awhile, and see what I can do in a month.

No comments:

Post a Comment