Monday, October 17, 2011

Late War German Armor Camo (test)

Got the bug to break out my airbrush yesterday, and after promptly breaking one of them (a bit too rough getting a nozzle off while trying to clear some thick paint out of it) I got some figures done with my other one.  Lesson learned.   Given that I use Iwata's, the part costs about half of what the thing is worth new (its an older airbrush).  No matter, it will sit in a box until I can find someone to buy it or get it fixed.  It is a .2mm nozzle, so probably more precise than I need right now anyway.

Following that, I took a few models out that are easy to clean and tried to get a handle on how to paint them.  This is what I came out with:


My first attempt. I started with thin lines in a 'squiggle' pattern, which I saw in several pictures, but I really didnt like it. So, I just painted over it with thicker patterns to get a hang for what that might look like. Not good, but helped me with these:


These were done using patches of green and brown over the base of dark yellow, like how I had seen some StuG's and Panzer IV's painted up.  Not the overlapping camo that seems to be more modern (think of the older US Woodland BDU's), but just patches of color.  I think it looks... ok?  Not entirely sure thats what I want to go with, but if I can find pictures of tanks painted that way I will roll with it.  Considered painting both of these vehicles up with the details and leaving the body with the camo, but probably wont (I have not found anything that mentions the Germans applied camo to their trucks/tractors).

Here are pictures of what I am trying to accomplish:












The first is a KT painted up by (I guess) Battlefront, the folks that make Flames of War.  I do not think I can manage such a light dusting of color on my tank.  It gives an amazingly authentic look, but damn.. difficult.  Not entirely what I want them to look like either.

The second is from someone on the FoW forums.  This is more in line with what I want to do, but the small patches just dont look quite right.

The third is an actual King Tiger in a French museum.  This is more along the lines of what I was thinking, but I want to make sure that the two-tone camo (base and one color) is ok for the theater I am painting for (the Ardennes Offensive, or the Battle of the Bulge). 

Opinions?

2 comments:

  1. Very nice. Would you be able to give me the paint receipe?

    regards
    Darren
    dc.damant@bell.net

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure thing, I am still unpacking my painting supplies, so as soon as I get it all set back up, I can get you a list.

    From what I remember, it was just a collection of Tamiya colors with the airbrush. Saved the empty jars just for this. Will shoot you an e-mail directly as soon as I get it.

    ReplyDelete