Monday, August 1, 2011

Space Hulk

Space Hulk on BGG

Space Hulk is a 40k board game, representing a team of Terminator Armor clad Space Marines (Blood Angels to be specific) boarding and conducting missions on a Space Hulk, a massive floating convergence of derelict space craft, asteroids, and other debris.  The missions have a very "Aliens" feel to it, with a small team of heavily armed troops fighting against wave after wave of close fighting aliens. 

I never got a chance to play the original board game, so I have no real basis for comparison, but I really liked this one.  Picked it up because it was set to be a 'limited edition' and it looked like fun.  Very glad I did.  It took me several games to get it down, but since then I have found it to be a worthwhile experience (especially in light of the time and effort needed to set it up and play, which will usually discourage me from some games).

A google image search for "Space Hulk Miniatures" will show you the other reason why I picked it up.  The miniatures included in the game are some of the best I have ever seen from Games Workshop.  They are so good I know of at least three players in the Colorado Springs area who purchased 2 or more copies of Space Hulk just so they could get the miniatures.  For an example (borrowed from the Games Workshop site):
Property of Games Workshop - I did not paint this
 So, as you can see, there are some excellent miniatures just waiting to be painted in that box.  Since I have played it maybe a dozen times since I purchased it in 2009, my motivation to pull them out and actually get them done has been minimal.  However, after finding a company that provides foam trays for the miniatures, Outrider Hobbies, I have been thinking about setting aside some time for this project.  It might ease me into tackling my Space Wolves once that is done.

When I was considering this years ago, I was introduced to a product I have since some to regard as one of the best things to happen to those of us that are artistically challenged.  The Army Painter makes a line of spray paint that doubles as a base coat, as well as a line of 'dips' that shade a miniature for you.  Its not an ideal paint job, but its much better than anything I have been able to do on my own so far, and cuts the time down by a big margin.  To that end, I picked up the last can of "Blood Red" Citadel spray paint I have ever seen, primed a random Space Marine model I had with it, slopped on a few details, and dipped it.  This was the result:

I literally painted this miniature in 10-15 minutes (not counting dry times).  On an assembly line, I could whip out a squad of Space Marines like this in an hour.  Now, for the nicer figures in the Space Hulk set, that wont happen like that, though I might go that route for the Gene Stealers.

Is it as nice a paint job as the one from GW?  Not at all.  But, given that I did it on a whim and it came out looking pretty good, it gives me a fair amount of hope that when I do get started on this project, it will turn out well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment