Friday, August 12, 2011

Trouble with Germans

I have a problem.  Several, actually, but one that the others stem from.  Do I paint my figures in a fashion thats 'historically accurate' but difficult (and thus taking longer), or do I paint them in a way that looks 'kinda right' and goes fast?

To that end, I am frustrated with my progress so far.  I had decided to base them all in the Uniform Grey spray, and paint it up from there, as opposed to the more accurate "Green Grey" look.  Honestly, they just look American with the green.  Still, I am hesitant.

Now I am playing with the helmet colors.  The forum suggested a dark grey, almost black (it looks like a rubber color to me).  It looks too dark to me.  Maybe it would look better with a different color of uniform?  I posted pictures of my last attempt at Germans in this style earlier, I wish I knew how I had painted their helmets.  Going to have to reinvent the wheel here I suppose.

Naturally, this problem is holding me up.  I wish I had painted a range of test models to test this out first, but no luck there.  I am using my panzershreck squad for that purpose.  Going to try a different helmet shade tomorrow once this one is dry.  Now I need to figure out how to paint the cloth covers too.

I dont think I am going to meet my deadline....

1 comment:

  1. Rather than post a blog, to reply to an earlier blog.. I thought commenting on the subject would work better.

    I used a mix of German Grey and Cold Grey to get a darker shade of grey for the helmets. It passes the 3' rule, which is all I ask for. Started painting anything and everything thats going to be a shade of middlestone (Neb's, pzfausts, etc). I feel somewhat accomplished.

    ReplyDelete